- Camping - Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Camping was amazing.
We started driving friday afternoon, camped out at this little spot annie and drew knew just inside the far reaches of capitol reef. Tons of little bitey bugs, but that was the compromise for camping by a cold, beautiful meander of the green river. When Gordon and I were setting up the tent, a part of one of the poles snapped. And we were able to wrap it in athletic tape from a first aid kit to makeshift for the night, but later it came to be a problem.
That first night was divine, though. Small animals skittered around in the bushes as the sunset dissolved rapidly into a clear, brilliant night sky; almost an eery effect. The sandy apple-chicken sausages were nevertheless delicious. I laid on Gordon's chest and he wrapped his arms around me to keep me warm, and Annie and I pointed out constellations to the noobs, all four of us making up a fair few as well :) But whatever, constellations are, for a large part, sketchy in their own right. If you know what I'm sayin.
Woke up the next morning to birds and Annie stirring into the clear, intense morning sunlight that you only ever see in the desert. Also, loved rolling over to Gordy's sweet face. Stared at him until he felt my eyes and woke up; he's a light sleeper. Apparently it was welcome; I saved him from a bad dream.
We went hiking and then swimming at this awesome natural swimming hole with a waterfall. Battling the current to get closer to the waterfall was exhausting and so fulfilling.
Drove to Bryce; the astronomy festival was a-fucking-mazing. We all filled up flasks, took a couple shots before, and then headed into the solid, thick darkness to see crazy awesome shit. Got steadily drunker and more raucous but could hardly feel it for the cold. Gordon drunk is hilarious, but there's something a little frightening about him losing control. Just in the sense that I'm not used to it. It's interesting, I suppose..
The next morning we hiked an intense trail; the navajo loop. Bryce canyon is gorgeous as all fuck. Rolling pastel red and white hills giving way to vast, purple mesas and valleys in the distance. Trip to Goblin Valley afterwards; backcountry camping fail when the wind blew and the broken tent pole ripped through. Annie and I saved the day by flirting with the ranger for his tent and getting a sheltered campsite. The bugs bit nasty; G and I slept outside. But it was such a warm, lovely night. Smoking flavored cigars and downing the remainder of the grand marinier. He smoked so much weed that he was giggling, literally giggling. Drew got a little high too, which was hilarious.
It was amazing. Freeing. I love camping, I love friends. Swimming holes rock, so does hiking.

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

awwwwww love you. sounds like you had fun, you nature girl you. call soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Bzzzzzz

I need sleep, coffee, and a run.

OPEN YOUR EYES

Let people into your life :)

LINKS

Just kidding

PREVIOUS POSTS

tomorrow, I graduate. :)The only thing that has st...
This week from hell:My brand new birthday cartilag...
T - I can't be your boyfriend, or your only emotio...
Guess I'm rather unwise... My throat is killer sor...
I've learned that the less you invest the less you...
Psychoanalyzing Ghaddafi
Escuela
I mean, I forgot how much I loved you until this d...
Eric, I miss being your best friend... I miss you....
Christ, this math is SO boring! Like, who even dec...


THE ARCHIVES



LAYOUT

Layout is by TornGemini

Powered by Blogger