- Penitentiary - Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I still think of him sometimes;
That little smile, coy, even sly
Belying only honesty at the depths of his core.

The day I met him I was in a haze, a funk.
Everything was tense and hurt inside,
Wound up like a rubber band, so tight I waited to feel the break.
I pushed around it, over it, I couldn't push through it
So bit by bit I had to detach from myself.
I found myself soaring above the conversation, above
The little boxed-in attorney's room, I found
Myself putting my face through the motions.
My empathy was so genuine it hurt, but
My conviction, my self, was not.

It was enough, though, for a sweet-faced young
Twenty-something who's seen little
Kindness, very little
Justice, in his life.

Falling in love with a stranger - I think that's
How we keep ourselves busy;
Whether it's in Albermarle County Jail or in
Your local high school classroom. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Bzzzzzz

I need sleep, coffee, and a run.

OPEN YOUR EYES

Let people into your life :)

LINKS

Just kidding

PREVIOUS POSTS

Rapture
Broadripple is Burning
Tea and healing
El Verano
Relationships
The Gender Gap
Things I cannot handle right now
Homegrown and Sustainable
Radio
Colonialism and Decolonialism: pains and subjectivity


THE ARCHIVES



LAYOUT

Layout is by TornGemini

Powered by Blogger